So I decided to allow my inner hippie to escape for the next few weeks. I found this recipe on instrucables for homemade paneer (an indian ricotta esque cheese) and I thought it would be fun to make and good to eat. But after tasting it plain it was much too bland so I kicked it up with a simple mix of herbs just like the mix used to crust expensive goat cheese.
---How To Make It Yourself---
tools
- large non-reactive pot (non-stick with no scratches/glass/enamel/or stainless steel)
- piece of cheese cloth or square of thin cotton (like from a used shirt)
- colander
- clips
- wax paper
- 1 gallon whole milk
- 8 Tbsp. lemon juice (from the bottle is fine)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 clove finely minced garlic
- lay cloth inside colander and clip it onto the rim to keep the cloth in place
- bring milk to a rolling boil on medium high heat
- stir to avoid foaming or scalding
- turn down heat to simmer
- add lemon juice and stir constantly for 1 minute -- if the milk does not seperate into curds adn whey add more lemon
- remove from heat and stir for 1 more minute
- pour into cloth and drain out the whey
- rinse curds with cold water until run off is clear
- take corners of cloth, twist, and form curds into a tight ball
- hang the ball from your sink faucet
- leave ball to drip drain about 1-2 hours
- flatten ball while it is still wrapped in cloth and place heavy weight on top to compress the curds -- leave for another hour
- remove cloth and sprinkle with salt, basil, and garlic
- place on a plate, cover with sheet of wax paper, refrigerated, and place a new weight (I used milk jug) -- leave for at least 2 more hours before you enjoy
2 comments:
OMNOMNOMNOM paneer is so tasty when you have super hot curry on one side and runny light yoghurt on the other side and then PANEER in all its creamy goodness
~ANON aka dani
I am posting a yogurt recipe tonight! So you can make all the yummy curry you could ever want with homemade ingredients!
Post a Comment