1

More Than Grilled Cheese Please!

I am an avid food fan, from raw to blackened, bland to overkill, if I can eat it I will. With the tight budget of being a college student I do not commonly have the luxury to have culinary adventures or to even grab a bite out with friends. But that doesn't mean I can't have a little cheap fun in my own 1960's kitchen, equipped with fridge stocked with discount groceries, a lopsided stove, and a brain packed with ideas.

So I start this collection of cheap food gone oh so good, with a laugh. Here is my all time favorite food, the grilled cheese sandwich with a little twist.

Ingredients:
  • 2 thick slices jewish rye bread (any type will do)
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 2 slices of white cheddar cheese (or 1/2 cup shredded)
  • tomato paste
  • mayonnaise
Directions:
  • add a small amount of oil to a pan on medium heat
  • once oil is heated add diced onions
  • stir occasionally until onions turn semi-transparent
  • remove onions from pan and set aside
  • spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread
  • spread thin layer of tomato paste on  the non-mayo side of each slice of bread
  • place one slice, mayo side down, into the hot pan
  • spread onions and cheese evenly over the exposed side of bread
  • place second slice, tomato side down, on top of cheese
  • flip on each side till bread is golden brown and cheese is melted thoroughly

1 comments:

DANI said...

I totally tried this (sans mayonaise), and it was delishus! I had some rye laying around from D.Z. Akins and it was awesome.

Post a Comment