0

Onigiri

So I am obsessed with asian markets as many of my friends back in SD seem to be. So it was only natural that I found myself in a korean market at 10pm just because I was bored and didn't want to go home. I had a small list of things I wanted to pick up, some cheap meat for the ferrets and a new strange drink if I could find one. The market I went to in particular has a whole section devoted to cooking tools and serviceware which made me giddy and even more devoted to the odd hybrid of an albersons and a fruit stand. They had everything from $500 speciality suchi rice cookers to $0.50 kids chopsticks (the connected and rather adorable kind). In my meandering and oggling at the vast number of hello kitty themed items I ended up with a $2.99 little plastic triangular Onigiri press. I could have gone with a star or heart shaped one but the sinple triangle one stood out and I had to have it. An hour later, after comtemplating if I needed a 5lb. bag of seseme seeds, I checked out with a $2 cut of beef for the ferrets, a soda whose flavor I can only expalian as carbonated bubblegum, and my press.When I got home I started making rice and mixing up some fillings that I thought might taste good. I had no recipe so I made it all up on my own which may burn the souls of any tradianalist japanses cooks out there, but hey, I was enthusiatic and my computer was charging. Who would want to wait a hour jsut to get a recipe when you can just dive in and recreate the wheel?!

---How To Make It Yourself---
tools
  • large pot for rice
  • small pan
  • 2 bowls for mixing
  • Onigiri press OR your hands
ingredients
  • 4 cups medium grain white rice
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
  • salt to taste
  • SAVORY FILLING
    • 1 fish filet (i used Talapia)
    • curry spice mix (see privious recipe)
  • SALTY FILLING
    • 1 can wax beans
    • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
    • 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
  • SWEET FILLING
    • 1 can kidney beans
    • 2 Tbsp. sugar
    • 1 Tbsp. peanut butter
    • 2 tsp soy sauce
instructions
  • RICE
    • rinse rice till water runs clear
    • add to boiling water and cover till cooked
    • add and mix in oil and salt to taste
    • you can mash the rice slightly to give it more adhearing ability if your rice isn't sticking together very well
  • SAVORY FILLING
    • cut raw fish into 1/2 inch cubes
    • dust with curry mix to taste
    • cook in pan untill done
  • SALTY FILLING
    • cut beans into 1/2 inch segments
    • add to bowl with soy and hot sauce
  • SWEET FILLING
    • mash beans into a thick and chunky paste
    • add sugar, p. butter, and soy sauce and stir until well combined
  •  ONIGIRI
    • in hand or press take 1/4 cup rice and form into ball or triangle
    • make a well in the scenter and add 1/2 Tbsp. filling
    • add another 1/4 cup rice on top and press to form into desired shape
    • eat wither warm, room temp, or chilled

0 comments:

Post a Comment